Sunday, June 14, 2015

27. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde


Flickr Download DeviantArt

This is a mean Dylan, meaner than him on the cover of Highway 61 Revisited. It was freezing when they took the shot. I read about it. The shot is out of focus. I readily noticed it. 

And so I decided to crop the sides of the original photo to make a larger one and see how meaner Dylan could get. Then I remembered the texture of his photo on the cover
of Blood on the Tracks but on this one I experimented with rough pastels and angled strokes. That's just enough blurring without demeaning the original blur.
And, I guess, that's the meanest mean I could get. Out of a cold blonde. 


Here's the original album cover art design.



No. 9, Rolling Stone, The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time; No. 18, Rate Your Music, The 100 Greatest Albums of All Time;
No. 33, The Virgin All-Time Album Top 1000.


Photo by Jerry Schatzberg. Album produced by Bob Johnston. Columbia 1966.

"I wanted to find an interesting location outside of the studio. We went to the west side, where the Chelsea art galleries are now.
At the time it was the meat packing district of New York and I liked the look of it. It was freezing and we were very cold.
The frame he chose for the cover is blurred and out of focus. Of course everyone was trying to interpret the meaning,
saying it must represent getting high on an LSD trip. It was none of the above; we were just cold and the
two of us were shivering. There were other images that were sharp and in focus but, to his credit,
Dylan liked that photograph." Jerry Schatzberg.



This was the spot where they took the shot.


(A) Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35 - Pledging My Time - Visions of Johanna - One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)

(B) I Want You - Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again - Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat - Just Like a Woman

(C) Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) - Temporary Like Achilles - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Fourth Time Around - Obviously Five Believers




"Visions of Johanna" from dylanzimmer on YouTube.